Czeslaw Slania started working for the Swedish Post Office in 1959. Over 40 years of his career the Swedish Post has issued more than 450 of his engraved stamps. They are all shown in this section. His famous 1000th engraving is shown on page 2000-2001. There exist also a few stamps for which he has made the layout (but not the engraving), or for which he «only» engraved the text, but not the stamp as such. Such stamps are shown on these pages for your convenience. Many thanks to Mr. Lars Gabrielsson (Sweden) for proof-reading this section.
Please note, that Swedish stamps come in various perforations (vertical and horizontal coils, or 2-, 3-, and 4-sided perforations according to their position in panes). It is thus no mistake, if two stamps of the same design, but of different colours and face values, have different perforations, as is for example the case with the two first stamps below on this page. There is no «fixed scheme» to perforating. The various perforations are sub-indexed to the main catalogue-number in the Swedish Facit-catalogue, and is a separate philatelic study which goes beyond the purpose of this site.
18.02.1960. Anders Zorn, Swedish painter (1860-1920).
07.04.1960. World Refugee Year 1959-1960. Please note that there are two different stamps of different design in this set. Slania has only engraved the one shown here, the other one is engraved by A. Wallhorn.
30.06.1960. Centenary of the Voluntary Shooting Organization. Please note that there are two different stamps of different design in this set. Slania has engraved the one shown here, the other one is engraved by A. Wallhorn.
22.08.1960. Birth centenary of Gustaf Fröding (1860-1911). Swedish Poet.
19.09.1960. Europa stamps. The subject features a Roman mail-coach wheel with 19 spokes, symbolizing the 19 countries belonging to CEPT (Conference of European Postal and Telecommunications Administrations) at the time of issue.
23.11.1960. Birth centenary Hjalmar Branting (1860-1925). Swedish politician who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1921.
02.06.1961. Death bicentenary of Jonas Alströmer (1685-1761). Swedish industrialist.
22.09.1961. Third Centenary of Royal Library.
29.01.1962. Centenary of Local Mail Delivery. The stamps feature to the right a one hundred years old postman’s cap-badge, and to the left a modern badge. In the background a postman’s footprints.
24.09.1962. Notable Buildings. Stockholm Cathedral. Interior with sculpture of St. George Slaying the Dragon.
24.09.1962. Skokloster Castle, built 1654-1677 for C.G. Wrangel.
15.02.1963. Two stamps featuring Sweden’s World Championship in Ice Hockey.
21.03.1963. Two stamps for FAO Anti Hunger Campaign.
25.10.1963. Two stamps featuring Notable Buildings. The stamps show the estate of Hammarby (built in 1762), southeast of Uppsala, the estate of the botanist Carl von Linné.
- 12.06.1964. 800th anniversary of the Archbishopric of Uppsala. The stamps feature the seal of the Archbishop Stefan.
- 26.03.1966. Centenary of the National Museum. The Entrance Hall of the Museum at the opening in 1866.
- Chromeprint for advertising.
- At the right we can view after clicking in the image, a magnification of stamp showing the joke by Slania about his sister Leokadia (Lodzia), making a pun with his name «LEOKADIA» and engraving a Lion in the wrinkles of the lady coat and engraving below the familiar name «LODZIA». At the right, called «Chromeprint» a print of this set, probably for advertising, not engraved. A scarce piece.
- 17.05.1965. Posthorn.
- 24.09.1965. Definitives of «Three Crowns», issued over the period 1939-1969.
- 17.05.1965. Centenary of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). The stamps feature radio-waves transmitted by an antenna, and the emblem of ITU.
- 05.07.1965. Prince Eugen (1865-1947). Swedish prince and painter.
- 18.02.1966. World Championship in Speed Skating.
- 15.06.1966. Bicentenary of Drottningholm Theatre. Interior from the theatre stage during a performance. The theatre was built in 1766 by the architect C.F. Adelcrantz, and added to in 1791 by the architect L.J. Desprez.
- 26.09.1966. Carl Jonas Love Almqvist (1793-1866). Swedish author. The portrait is a painting 1835 by C.P. Mazer.
12.01.1967. World Championship in handball.
15.03.1967. The Mountains, seen from Torne Träsk, Laponia.
15.03.1967. Cathedral of Uppsala.
16.10.1967. Definitive stamp of 10 øre, showing a Swedish ship in the strait of Øresund, c. 1650.
11.04.1967. World championship in table-tennis. The player is the World- and European Champion Kjell Johansson. The Championships were played in Stockholm 11th-24th April 1967.
16.10.1967. Definitive stamp of 30 øre. Outer Archipelago in Stockholm. Angelica Plant.
21.02.1968. Dalsland’s Canal. The Aqueduct at Håverud, Dalsland.
17.05.1967. The Iron Age, Öland, around 500 A.D. (Please note that the 4th stamp in the set is slightly smaller than the other three). The main subject of the stamps are helmet crests in bronze, found at Torslunda, Öland.
Man holding a captured bear.
Man fighting bears.
Warrior disguised as a wolf.
Helmet crested warriors.
04.06.1968. Wild Flowers.
- Butterfly Orchids.
- Wood Anemone.
- Wild Rose.
- Wild Cherries.
- Lily of The Valley.
- 25.11.1968. Animal Paintings by Bruno Liljefors (1868-1939). From left to right: hare, great black-backed gull, red fox, golden eagle and weasel.
05.09.1968. World Championship in Orienteering.
31.03.1969. Two stamps in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- 13.10.1969. Bo Bergman (1869-1967). Swedish author.
- 03.09.1969. The warship «Wasa». «Wasa» was capsized on her maiden voyage on 10th August 1628 and went down in Stockholm’s Ström. She was salvaged in 1961. The above six stamps show naval decorations from the ship. Scott # 825-830
- 17.11.1969. Swedish Fairy Tales. From left to right:
– «Pelles new suit» from Elsa Beskow (1912).
– «Adventures of Nils Holgerson», from Selma Lagerlöf (1906).
– «Pippi Longstocking», from Astrid Lindgren.
– «Vill-Vallaremann», from John Bauer (1909).
– «The Journey of the Cat», from Ivar Arosenius (1909).
1970. European Nature Conservation Year. The set contains two similar stamps of different face value, and feature the River Trångforsen in Ljungan, Jämtland.
05.06.1970. Around the Arctic Circle. The set contains five stamps.
- View of Kiruna (where the Swedish Postal Mail Order Department is located)
- Winter Landscape and Skiers.
- Akka Mountains in the National Park of Store Sjöfallet (Great Falls).
- Reindeer Herd.
- Rocket Launching from the Esrange Rocket Base near Kiruna for Aurora Borealis Research.
28.09.1970. Swedish Industrial Life. Please note that the stamps are printed horizontally «se-tenant» to give an overlapping impression of two big horizontal stamps. The stamps were sold as singles in booklets only. Scott # 861-866.
24.10.1970. 25th anniversary of the United Nations.
Three hearts in different colours, symbolizing «Make Love, Not War» between people of different races.
Three four-leaved clovers in different colours, symbolizing happiness.
20.11.1970. Swedish birds. These stamps were designed by Slania, they are not engraved, printed in offset. From left to right and top to down: Greta Tit, Blackbird, Green Finch, Bullfinch and Blue tit.
- 22.01.1971. The Waxholm Boat. Design Lennart Petersen from a photograph, and engraving by Czeslaw Slania. Recess printing was in blue and brown by the Post Office Stamp Printing Works in Stockholm on fluorescent paper.
- 22.01.1971. «Blood Money» coins. Minted in Vadstena 1568. Also in horizontal coil format, this stamp is recess printed in black by the Post Office Stamp Printing Works. Design was by Sven Ake Gustafsson with engraving by Czeslaw Slania.
- 26.03.1971. Refugee. Stamps were issued in connection with a joint subscription for Help to Refugees in the five Nordic countries, started 25th April 1971.
- 04.06.1971. Container Transport. The Skandia Harbour in Gothenburg, largest harbour for containers in the Nordic countries.
- 28.09.1971. Mail Coach. Oil Painting 1928 by E. Schwab, belonging to the Postal Museum, Stockholm.
- 28.09.1971. Stone Masons of Gotland.
«The Three Wise Men with their Gifts» on the baptismal font in Grötlingbo Church, ca. 1200, by the stonemason Sighrafr. Scott # 892.
«Adam and Eve by the Tree of Knowledge», (the door of Gammelgarn Church). Scott # 893.
«Winged Holy Knight» and «Samson and the Lion», 12 century, by Byzantios, on the baptismal font in Hogräns Church. Scott # 894.
- «The Escape to Egypt», by Egypticus, 14th century, on the doorway of Stänga Church. Scott # 895.
1971. Crown Regalia. These stamps are not engraved, printed in offset, but design are by Slania.
- State Sword of Gustavus Vasa, purchased in Augsburg (Germany) 1541. Scott # 899.
- Scepter of Erik XIV, by H. Heidenrick. Scott # 900.
- Crown, by C. ver Weiden. Scott # 901.
- Orb, by C. ver Weiden. Scott # 902.
- Anointing Horn of Charles IX, by P. Kiämpe, 1606. Scott # 903.
10.11.1971. Old Fashioned Christmas.
- Santa Claus and a Christmas Goat. Drawing by J. Nyström. Scott # 904.
- Christmas Market on Stortorget, Stockholm. Lithography by A. Mankell, 1874. Scott # 905.
- The Evening before the Holidays. Painting by A. Lindegren, 1860. Scott # 906.
- Skaters on Mälar Bay, Stockholm. Wood Cut by A.K. Ekwall, 1867. Scott # 907.
- Arriving for Christmas Service. A. Malmström, ca. 1870. Scott # 908.
10.11.1971. «The Wonderful Adventures of Nils», by Selma Lagerlöf. Nils Holgersson on the back of a goose.
23.04.1971. Two stamps showing the Grödinge Tapestry, 15th century. The stamps are printed on the yellowish paper as shown.
23.02.1972. Sports Women.
- Figure-Skating. (L. Lettström).
Diving. (M. Wessman).
Tennis. (Y. Kristensson).
Gymnastics. (M. Lundqvist).
Fencing (K. Palm and A. Ulfsparre).
22.03.1972. Swedish Glass Production.
Glass-cutting (G. Aronsson at Boda).
Glassblowers (G. Sjöbeck and N. Sääv at Pukeberg).
Glass forming (U. Johansson at Boda).
Glass forming (E. Eckerström at Boda).
Glassblower (P. Petrovcki at Boda).
08.05.1972. In the South East of Sweden. The two first stamps are out of a set of five, of which Slania has engraved the two stamps shown.
The Öland-Bridge, opened in 1972, and the ketch «Meta».
Sail Training Schooner «Falken» in Karlskrona Habour.
- 05.06.1972. Conservation of the Environment.
«Spring», wooden relief by B. Hjort, 1939, at Hökmossen School.
- 1972. 18th century Swedish Art:
- View from Fåfängan, Stockholm, 1793. Anonymous Artist.
- The Interior of the Anchor Forge, 1762. Anonymous Artist.
- 07.10.1972. 18th century Swedish Art:
- Figurehead of the Schooner «Amphion», ca. 1800. Anonymous Artist.
- «Quadriga» from the Livius series, ca. 1770. Anonymous Artist.
- «Lady with a Veil» (Roslyn’s Wife). ca. 1768. Painting by Roslin.
- Crown-Princess Sofia-Magdalena (1746-1813). Anonymous Artist.
06.11.1972. 90th birthday of King Gustaf VI Adolf.
Three Chinese Objects from the King’s Collection.
The King reading a speech from the Throne.
Two Greek Objets d’Art from the King’s Collection.
The King in the Garden of Solliden Castle.